So I follow a variety of blogs! Its an awesome way to get ideas for stuff to make. :) One of my favourites is Drizzle and Dip... So Sam - the author of the blog posted on arancini... or fried risotto balls. This post could not have come at a better time... since a I have been day dreaming about the arancini that I had eaten at "the 2 olives" and loved. And had been craving risotto... so what a more perfect time to try this.
I made a bacon and mushroom risotto. The ones I had eaten before were cheesy but I wanted something else in the risotto.
To make the risotto:
- Fry up the mushrooms and bacon. Must be chopped small. I used 1 packet of bacon and 1 punnet of button mushrooms. Once done - remove from the pan and set aside.
- To the same pan - add chopped onions (very fine) into a pan with some butter and saute till softened.
- Add in the risotto rice. You need arborio rice. Tastic has an orange risotto rice. I use that one.
- Once the rice has gone a bit translucent, start adding the liqiud.
- I added about 3/4 cup white wine. Let it absorb.
- From then on - I added chicken stock - a ladel at a time.
- Keep adding liquid until the rice is done to your taste. The rice should be soft.
- Add the bacon and mushrooms back in.
- Add in about half a block of grated mozzarella.
For arancini, the risotto should be more stodgy than if you were going to eat it at risotto.
Let the risotto cool completely. I left mine overnight.
To make the arancini, I simply made balls with the risotto mixture, then coated in flour, egg and breadcrumbs.
I did try to make an aioli for dipping, but lets not go there! LOL. I have no clue what happened but it completely flopped!
So I had hoped these would be yummy but when a friend told me that they were BETTER!!! YAYAYAYAY... Grin from ear to ear!