Cupcakes for Nick
Having survived the first week back at work – just barely – it was decided that cupcakes were in order! With a meeting scheduled for the Friday, the only thing to consider really was which flavour cupcakes to make???
One of my friends at work is a Vegan and so the cupcakes need to be Nick friendly… I found and made a surprisingly nice coffee and chocolate vegan cake recipe before, but it wouldn’t have suited cupcakes… I consulted the Google and found a recipe that uses soy milk. I had never used to tasted it before but according to the expert… it has a nutty taste.
When contemplating the icing choices, since butter is a no-go… Nick mentioned peanut butter… but really… can you put peanut butter on top of cupcakes??? Surly not??? My husband shuddered at the thought! haha
BUT, peanut butter chocolates are delicious!!!
I made the cupcakes and they were good! The nutty taste of the milk does come slightly through into the taste of the cake…and the peanut butter icing complements the cupcake rather well!
I must make note of the awesome piece of equipment I used in this process. For my kitchen tea, a friend gifted me a pancake pen… see below… I have not used it to make pancakes as yet but it was a super awesome and mess free way to get the batter from the bowl into the cupcake cases! well… when I say mess free… If i hadn’t filled it upside-down at first and not had the batter pouring out the bottom then it would have been mess free…. BUT, other than that! Awesome thing to use!!
I NGREDI ENT S
1 cup soy milk
1 t easpoon apple cider v inegar
3/ 4 cup granulat ed sugar
1/ 3 cup canola oil
1 t easpoon v anilla ext ract
1/ 2 t easpoon almond ext ract , chocolat e ext ract , or more v anilla ext ract
1 cup all-purpose f lour
1/ 3 cup cocoa powder, Dut ch-processed or regular
3/ 4 t easpoon baking soda
1/ 2 t easpoon baking powder
1/ 4 t easpoon salt
- Preheat oven t o 350°F and line a muffin pan wit h paper or f oil liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside f or a few minutes t o curdle.
- Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract , and other extract , if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt .
- Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain
- Pour int o liners, filling 3/ 4 of t he way. Bake 18 t o 20 minu es, until a toothpick insert ed int o t he center comes out clean. Transfer t o a cooling rack and let cool completely
I varied these ingredients slightly… I didn’t want chocolate cupcakes (YES, I said it… lol… but sometimes you just want Vanilla!) Anyway, I skipped on the cocoa and therefore, added the vanilla once as per recipe and then again instead of say an almond extract, I added vanilla again. Once all the ingredients were mixed I felt it was a bit runny so I sifted in some more flour… I would say about a half a cup at most.
So there you have it, Vegan cupcakes made for and inspired by Nick!